Webmaster: Assessoria de Assuntos Internacionais
Phone: +55(61) 3030-7076
The Superior Electoral Court (TSE), the highest institution of Electoral Justice in Brazil, was created on February 24th, 1932, and installed on May 20th of the same year, having as first president Minister Minister Hermenegildo Rodrigues de Barros.
The Constitution of the New State, established by Getúlio Vargas in 1937, extinguished the Electoral Justice and granted to the Union, exclusively, the power of legislating on electoral matters.
Composed by seven ministers, the TSE has already operated in four different headquarters besides the current. In its first phase (1932-1937), it operated on the Rio Branco Avenue, in Rio de Janeiro. The Decree Law 7586/1945 reestablished the Superior Electoral Court on May 28 th, 1945. That same year, on June 1 st, the TSE was installed at the Monroe Palace, in Rio de Janeiro, with Minister José Linhares as president.The Monroe Palace (demolished) was its first building during the second phase of the Electoral Justice (1945-1946), until it was transferred to Primeiro de Março Street, also in Rio de Janeiro. On April 22nd, 1960, one day after being transferred to the new federal capital, the TSE was installed in the Esplanade of Ministries, in Brasilia, where it operated until 1971. It then went on to occupy its own headquarters in the same city, in the Tribunais Superiores Square, where it remained until January 2012 when its new headquarter was inaugurated.