With the coming of the Portuguese Royal Family to the Colony in 1808 and the consequent transfer of the headquarters of the Portuguese monarchy, the cultural life of Rio was impelled. Theaters, libraries, literary and scientific academies opened. Rounding the residence of King John VI of Portugal (the Royal Palace), Direita Street obtained more relevance.
One of the most elegant roads in the city, housing the main public institutions and refined shops, Direita Street was known as Carceller Boulevard during the imperial period. The reason for such an epithet was the famous pâtisserie of the Frenchman Carceller, frequented even by Emperor Peter II. Near this sweet shop, at the café of the Cercle du Commerce, the Italian Luigi Bassini made the first ice cream of the capital of the Brazilian Empire.
Primeiro de Março Street's supremacy last until the conclusion of Central Avenue's construction (currently Rio Branco Avenue), built during the first years of the Republic, under the inspiration of the Paris of Haussmann. As the main road of the Colony and of the Empire, Primeiro de Março Street has therefore a great historical dimension, and it is in this context that the importance of the former headquarters of the Superior Electoral Court - TSE should be understood, being therefore a monument deserving to be restored.